Youth Art Month
Council for Art Education (CFAE) administers Youth Art Month at the national level. Festivities take place annually, traditionally culminating each March, to celebrate visual arts for grades K – 12. The Youth Art Month Program emphasizes the value of art education for all children, encourages support for quality school art programs, and promotes art material safety.
Youth Art Month also provides a forum for recognizing skills developed through visual arts experiences that are not possible in other curriculum subjects.
Started in 1961 through The Art & Creative Materials Institute, Inc. (ACMI) and in cooperation with the National Art Education Association (NAEA), Youth Art Month exists to
1. Recognize art education as a viable factor in the total education curricula that develops citizens of a global society.
2. Recognize art is a necessity for the full development of better quality of life for all.
3. Direct attention to the value of art education for divergent and critical thinking.
4. Expand art programs in schools and stimulate new art programs.
5. Encourage commitment to the arts by students, community organizations, and individuals everywhere.
6. Provide additional opportunities for individuals of all ages to participate in creative art learning.
7. Increase community, business and governmental support for art education.
8. Increase community understanding and interest in art and art education through involvement in art exhibits, workshops, and other creative ventures.
9. Reflect and demonstrate the goals of the National Art Education Association that work toward the improvement of art education at all levels.
Please note that Council for Art Education is the national sponsor of Youth Art Month
Click HERE for more information.
101 Ideas for Youth Art Month
Teachers: Enter our 2017-2018 Youth Art Month Teacher of the Year Contest!
To be considered for this award complete the following requirements:
- Participate in the Utah Youth Art Month Flag Contest.
- Plan and organize a celebration for Youth Art Month in March. (See our suggestion of 100+ fun ideas for celebrating YAM)
- Promote Youth Art month and help educate others about YAM in Utah.
- Create a digital presentation, slideshow and essay with photos attached or some type of documentation explaining what you did to promote Youth Art Month and how you celebrated it with your students.
- Send the presentation to email@example.com by June 15, 2018 to be considered for this honor.
The winning teacher will be honored at our State Conference in February the following year. They will also receive a check for $200.00 from UAEA.
Annual YAM Flag Contest
The deadline for our upcoming flag contest is December 15th, 2017. Plan now so that you can participate.
The theme for 2017-2018 is "Building Community Through Art"
Prizes Update for our Yam Flag Contest 2017-2018
In the past we have had generous prizes including trips, scholarships and art supplies winners provided by Sargent Art and UAEA. We are grateful to Sargent Art for their support of Youth Art Month in Utah. As we grow we are trying to provide even more prizes and to expand the reach of the YAM program. We will update this website as we get more specific information about the prizes for this year's contests.
FLAG Competion release form 2017-18
Flag and Banner Program Entry Form 2017-18
Q & A about Utah Yam Contest Please read Q & A to see how to submit digital entries.
You may also mail completed entries to:
YAM Flag entries
Union High School
135 N Union
Roosevelt, UT 84066
if you have questions you can email Elizabeth at:
Youth Art Month Overview